Re: newbie

Ta, I'll try that, come back later.

"works" means that something happens when I click a menu item, like getting a package doing its thing.
No flashing lights or whistles; haha, I ain't no puerile. Got the gnome gui, with 5 icons in the bottom
panel and three top screen; that's all. Just managed to get into evolution, but got stuck halfway thru.
Cannot get the  modem working. When it asks for name and email address, I fill that in and the next
three holes say its optional, but "Next" won't do as told. But every time I boot up again, something
shows up that was not there before. Anyhow got the wheel mouse ps/2 going.

I want to check out gnome versus kde to find out how it works. Dunno yet which one I'll use. I tried
:home, on the screen in gnome, but was not told that is nautilus; I'll try again and see. I need to get
some directories installed so as to poke stuff in the right places.

It all contributes something I did not know before, and certainly did not find in the install or customs
docs.

I've written to docs at redhat and am told my comments are valid, of course they are, about the starting
docs, but will they do what I "know" they should, explain very bit of jargon, add som help when things
do not go as one is told, etc blahh.
I get your email as "attached" and would like to get it in the email page, otherwise I have to use my
mouse finger too often <g>, weak.

I've surfed to find a driver for that dang win lucent #2 VFD agere modem and find there's lots to get
once and after one knows which specific chip they sold me. I suppose open office will have a fax
function; have not gone into that one yet. Dloaded  scan modem and linmodem, supposed to tell one, in
gz, which means can only read it once in Linux and use the right packages, haha.

A friend, wizard prog designer who gave me the RH v 8.0, is coming over on Sunday to  fix a few things
and I hope that will get me an inch or so further along the line.

Neurosis no 1 of the moment is to get into Linux and do a few things with it. So, yes, I'll come back
later with a few queries. Got a psycho make-up that needs to know what happens when one does X, bummer.
So step by step instructions will help. How do I get from gnome into text mode and back? I'm scared to
do things in root just in case it bumbles into bad things. Yep just did some of  menu systems settings
and that. reduced things to only 1.5 gigs and installed some to gawp at. See next bootup what happens.

I've always been nuts, compared with "normals". I ain't crabby, just me. All scorpions go sideways,
oops, called "lateral" these days. Just LOVE the "exactly", which comes only once and after one has the
system between the ears. If only you got into MY specialties, I'd show you; more haha. Just as well I
never grew up into a "mature", addled [pun!] person.
"If the world is weird, get used to it".
"If you prescribe to reality it don't cooperate.

Ta, Adrian.