Re: newbie

On Thu, 2003-06-26 at 17:38, afme@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Ta, I'll try that, come back later.
>
> "works" means that something happens when I click a menu item, like getting a package doing its thing.

so far it seems that you have gnome 'working', as for the things that
come with it, well get to that one by one!

> Just managed to get into evolution, but got stuck halfway thru.
>  When it asks for name and email address, I fill that in and the next
> three holes say its optional, but "Next" won't do as told.

Funny, can't help you there, seems to work for me.  I think you should
try and get the modem working first, then you can download some updates
for various packages, as there have been some quite significant ones
since psyche came out.

> I want to check out gnome versus kde to find out how it works. Dunno yet which one I'll use.

To get kde, use redhat-config-packages, or menu->system
settings->packages as I mentioned before, and select kde.  You can go in
and select individual packages, but I suggest you keep them all for
now.  Then, just before you log in next, click on 'session' and select
kde when you enter your username etc.  Now you should be using kde and
you can try that.

>  I tried
> :home, on the screen in gnome, but was not told that is nautilus; I'll try again and see. I need to get
> some directories installed so as to poke stuff in the right places.

Well, when I say 'that's nautilus' I mean the file manager that shows
you your home directory is nautilus.  By default thats what gnome uses
when you open folders and such graphically.  You can customise it a bit
by opening such a folder, and selecting edit->preferences.

> It all contributes something I did not know before, and certainly did not find in the install or customs
> docs.
>
> I've written to docs at redhat and am told my comments are valid, of course they are, about the starting
> docs, but will they do what I "know" they should, explain very bit of jargon, add som help when things
> do not go as one is told, etc blahh.
> I get your email as "attached" and would like to get it in the email page, otherwise I have to use my
> mouse finger too often <g>, weak.

This is because outlook can't handle digital signatures properly.  Until
you get evolution working, you'll probably have to put up with my (and
some others) emails appearing as attachments :(

> I've surfed to find a driver for that dang win lucent #2 VFD agere modem and find there's lots to get
> once and after one knows which specific chip they sold me. I suppose open office will have a fax
> function;

Don't think so.  For command line fax stuff, vgetty is the default I
think.  There are other gui fax clients that you can use, and some of
them are just interfaces to vgetty.

>  have not gone into that one yet. Dloaded  scan modem and linmodem, supposed to tell one, in
> gz, which means can only read it once in Linux and use the right packages, haha.

You can read gz's in windows land too.  Just use your favourite archive
program.  (Winzip or powerarchiver etc).  Of course you can't run the
apps in windows, you'll have to copy them to linux.

> A friend, wizard prog designer who gave me the RH v 8.0, is coming over on Sunday to  fix a few things
> and I hope that will get me an inch or so further along the line.
>
> Neurosis no 1 of the moment is to get into Linux and do a few things with it. So, yes, I'll come back
> later with a few queries. Got a psycho make-up that needs to know what happens when one does X, bummer.
> So step by step instructions will help. How do I get from gnome into text mode and back?

To get to 'text mode' you can either just use a terminal (menu->system
tools-> terminal; right click on it and select 'add to panel' if you
find you're using it lots); or you can really go into text mode by using
ctrl-alt-Fx where x is 1 to 6.  You have six virtual terminals to use,
and Xwindows sits at ctrl-alt-F7 by default.

>  I'm scared to
> do things in root just in case it bumbles into bad things.

You should be doing most things as a normal user, including logging on.
When you need to do something as root, you can type 'su -l' at a prompt,
and do your sysadmin things, then 'exit' to get back to your user.  Some
redhat-config utilities will ask you for the root password if you don't
have root privileges.  If you find yourself doing lots of things with
'su -l' you can configure yourself to use 'sudo'.  sudo works by
prepending sudo to a command, which will then ask you for your password,
and then run the particular command as root.  eg
$ ifdown eth0
Users cannot control this device.
$ sudo ifdown eth0
Password:

and then it works!  Note the password here is your password, not the
root password.  To let yourself do this, type 'su -l' to root, and then
'visudo' from a shell prompt.  This can be tricky because it will
default to using an editor called 'vi'.  Basically if you type exactly
this you should be right:
down arrow until you get just under the section

# User privilege specification
root	ALL=(ALL) ALL

then type 'i' (no quotes)
then copy the above line but use your username instead of root.  eg
iain    ALL=(ALL) ALL
then type ESC ':wq', thats escape, colon, w, q.

If something screws up, just hit escape a few times, then :q!
which means quit without saving.

see how that goes for now :)  hope its enough to keep you busy for a
while...
--
Iain Buchanan <iain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 If food is not reasonably clean, return uneaten portion for partial refund