Re: newbie

On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 18:28, afme@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> metaphoric extension of "you bug me". BUG is slang, not proper English, which calls them insects.
>
> Now who will HELP me with MY problem, you've been pretty loud about yours.
>
> My currently main neurosis with Red Hat right now is which order does one do things to customise.  1st
> one makes directories, then subdirectories and after that mounts certain packages, -programs, etc to
> me - now HOW does one MOUNT  - which does not mean sit on the Monitor. I've read the white handbook and
> all the docs on the frisbie and there one finds TOPICAL help but not in wuyhich order to proceed. The
> reason for that I explained before, it's the style and convention of use in writing docs.

----
I wasn't involved in this discussion so I'll just confine myself to your
plight.

I don't recall ever reading about any order of things.

A VERY important thing to learn is the 'man' command...

try this...'man mount'

Another important thing to learn is that administration has
traditionally been done from the command line and there are an
incomplete suite of GUI based tools for system administration and I
wouldn't necessarily recommend them but if you are determined to fight
through a server setup without learning anything, check out
www.webmin.com

lastly - please review Eric Raymond's 'How to Ask Questions the Smart
Way' <http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>

Craig