At 05:01 PM 4/23/2003 +0800, you wrote:
How things are "meant" to work and how things are "used" are often
different.  Ever take out a screw with the blade of a sissors or pound a
nail with the butt of a screwdriver?

Kind of my point if you read the rest of my mail...

> My partner, for example, went after that particular problem with a
> large-gauge shotgun, and I still don't know enough about spamassassin to
> remove her blocks (and I promised not to remove her system until I had a
> better one).

Yes, the autocratic all IP addresses in China (for example) are evil.

No. Well, for some people maybe. But realize that there is another problem: the sysadmin who gets TONS of grief from 209/10/11 IP addresses, and does not have the knowledge or the tools yet to adequately fight that grief, and who (although knowing that the solution is too sweeping) blocks those three Class A blocks because AT THIS POINT IN TIME it's the best he/she can do.

As I was saying, we must improve our ability to fight spam in other ways so that fewer sysadmins take this (admittedly inferior) route.

DUL lists are even more "stupid" since I doubt that there is an effective
manner to determine with any accuracy what IP address in Boreno (for
example) are part of a DHCP group assigned to dialup lines.  Unless, of
course, one takes the view that they've never heard of Boreno so it must
be a poor country and thus all they have are dialups

Ed, while I will agree with you that there is lots of discrimination on this Earth, that is not the only possible cause of stuff like this. Another perfectly valid way to determine which IP's are dialup lines is to contact a whole bunch of ISP's. Again not perfect, and subject to change, etc. but not necessarily based on "Boreno is poor, fuck 'em".

I am not defending the blackhole lists here... simply stating that there are other valid reasons (in addition to the discrimination which does exist, not instead of it) why such tools get created and how they get used.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx