On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

> I see your point, but the _theory_ is not there. An RBL is meant to work
> this way:

How things are "meant" to work and how things are "used" are often
different.  Ever take out a screw with the blade of a sissors or pound a
nail with the butt of a screwdriver?

>   * Someone reports your server as an open relay or spamhaus
>   * They test your site
>   * They blacklist you
>   * You report it fixed
>   * They test your site
>   * The clear you from the list

IF they would do that soley on a domain name it *may* work.  If they are
doing it on an IP basis it won't since my IP address will change over
time.

> In theory, not a bad concept. However, it is in practice that it falls flat
> on its face sometimes. As I mentioned in another message, sometimes it's
> not the list that blocks you but other server admins who see patterns and
> don't have the fine-grained control of some tools to attack it granularly.
> My partner, for example, went after that particular problem with a
> large-gauge shotgun, and I still don't know enough about spamassassin to
> remove her blocks (and I promised not to remove her system until I had a
> better one).

Yes, the autocratic all IP addresses in China (for example) are evil.

> DUL lists are based on the fact that no one should/does really operate a
> mail server on a 56Kbps analog dialup line; hence, anyone who does is
> deliberately skirting their ISP's mail server (to which they already have
> access, else how do they receive mail?). So large amounts of mail or SMTP
> connections from dialup points are highly probably spam. Again, not a bad
> theory, but address ranges change, or people block the wrong ranges, or
> they block ranges that are too big, or whatever; so again in practice the
> thing falls down.

DUL lists are even more "stupid" since I doubt that there is an effective
manner to determine with any accuracy what IP address in Boreno (for
example) are part of a DHCP group assigned to dialup lines.  Unless, of
course, one takes the view that they've never heard of Boreno so it must
be a poor country and thus all they have are dialups

> Neither type of list is meant to be generic, or to lump people together, or
> to generalize. However, those things can and do happen. Must improve our
> anti-spam methods, I guess.

Again, intention v.s. application

Ed

--