Re: Red Hat 9

On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 09:53:42AM -0700, Guy Fraser wrote:
> What about the extra US$60/year for the entitlement, US$60/year x 500 =
> US$30,000. For each 500 entitlements, a persons salary can be paid for a
> year.

You're obviously not a business person.  I would expect that a good
percentage of that $60 has to be used to pay for infrastructure,
development of the RHN tool itself, the network bandwidth, etc.
Whatever is left gets used to pay the developer.  A good developer will
cost you considerably more than $30K/year.  You definitely won't get a
kernel developer for that.  Heck, they're very likely paying their help
desk staff more than that.  Add in the overhead costs of having them on
staff (benefits, office space, etc) and a more typical loaded cost of a
developer will be in the $100K range.  So they probably need 2500
entitlements to pay for *one* developer.  They've got well over 1000
packages to support.  If a developer works 240 days per year and doesn't
spend any time doing any training, s/he gets a total of 4 days per
product to spend.  I think you'll quickly realize you need a lot of
developers.

> Of course not every one buys an entitlement, but I do for my home machine.

I would hazard a guess that 95% of the Red Hat Linux users do not buy an
entitlement.

> I wouldn't mind upgrading once or twice a year if stuff I used was not
> constanly being dropped. I was very annoyed when elm was dropped, then
> sawfish now wine. The lack of ALSA support means constantly having to
> fight to get multimedia support.

Some stuff gets dropped and some stuff gets added.  They can't possibly
support every open source product around.  Users are already crying for
multiple window managers (Gnome, KDE, windowmaker, etc.), multiple MTAs
(sendmail, postfix), multiple printing subsystems (cups, lpr), multiple
editors (vim, emacs,joe, pico).  It's a battle they can't win.

> 3)Rather than supporting Activists, RH should be lobbying software
> developers to develop linux versions of their software that run natively
> in X.

They do that.  They're got some big companies certifying on Red Hat
Linux.  Think BEA, Oracle, and many others.  There are only so many
resources they can throw at the problem.  Would you rather they hire
lobbyists or developers?

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx