Re: Converting Outlook PST files...

Neil Loffhagen wrote:
example I'd like to have a folder structure like:

inbox
linux
    redhat
    mandrake
    debian
friends
    john
    paul
    george

I can create the linux and friends folders, but it won't let me create the redhat, mandrake, debain, etc. sub-folders.

Is there a way round this? Maybe with a different IMAP server or with different settings?

Others hinted at this but didn't give a solution, so here it is.

In the mail tool create a "folder" named "linux/"
the create a "sub folder" named "redhat" as as sub folder of "linux"
repeat for "mandrake" and "debian"

what this creates on disk is different (as mentioned before).

# ls -F ~/.imap
INBOX linux/

# ls -F ~/.imap/linux
redhat mandrake debian

You can store messages in redhat, mandrake, and debian, but linux can _ONLY_ have other "sub folders". You can also create (as I have) something like this:

linux/
  kernel
  wine
  RedHat/
    psyche
    valhalla
    beta
    old/
      enigma
      zoot

You get the picture. You can also create this on disk with mkdir and touch instead of using the mail tool, then in the tool subscribe to the new "folders".

The trick is, when you create a folder that will contain sub folders, you create it with a trailing '/' so it gets created as a directory.
This is mainly a failing of the mbox format (unix default for a long time) in that 1 file stores many messages. That file is treated as a "folder" in most mail apps, but that doesn't match the normal filesystem paradigms of "folder"=directory.

Some newer mail tools and imap servers have solutions. Some imap server allow a "folder" to contain messages and folders. Some mail tools use a "one message = one file" storage scheme. Each has it strengths and it's weaknesses.

-Thomas