Re: Converting Outlook PST files...

On Fri Mar 14 2003 at 05:53, Keith Winston wrote:

> > I can create the linux and friends folders, but it won't let me
> > create the redhat, mandrake, debain, etc. sub-folders.
> >
> > Is there a way round this?  Maybe with a different IMAP server
> > or with different settings?
>
> When I was testing IMAP using the included Red Hat IMAP server (from U
> of W I think), I had a similar problem.  I posted a question here but
> never found an answer.  My guess is that it has to do with the security
> of /var/spool/mail and the security context of IMAP, or a bug in the
> IMAP server, but I'm not sure.

No, not at all.  In fact, apart from INBOX (which is a special
folder, /var/spool/mail/<user>), IMAP folders are kept in the user's
home directory, indexed via a file called ~/.mailboxlist.

And it is no bug.  A folder can either contain messages or
subfolders, but not both.  A directory can only contain files and
subdirectories.  A file cannot have the same name as a directory.

See my other reply.

> I set up the RH8.0 squirrelmail (a web based interface to imap) and
> noticed that it stored mail in a different location than the default
> /var/spool/mail.  I had no trouble with subfolders created through
> squirrelmail.
>
> Best Regards,
> Keith

Cheers