Re: talk

Michael Schwendt <ms0301rh@arcor.de> writes:

>> installed with talk are:
>>   /usr/bin/talk
>>   /usr/share/man/man1/talk.1.gz
>>
>> No talkd which is mentioned in the `see also' part of `talk' manpage.
>>
>> This led me to think I needed another package `talk-server' but
>> installing it causes `talk' to be uninstalled and vice versa.
>
> Querying the rpms doesn't yield anything like that. The talk-server
> packages only obsoletes an older "ntalk" package.

Doesn't yield anything like what?  What I posted was a direct result
of a query:
  rpm -ql talk
  /usr/bin/talk
  /usr/share/man/man1/talk.1.gz

> You would need a talk client/server pair on both ends of the
> communication. Even on localhost, you would need the server.

Where is the server?
Running a query of the distro database, searching all distro packages
for talk shows this:

  ytalk-3.1.1-10
  netatalk-1.5.3.1-4
  talk-0.17-17
  ktalkd-3.0.3-3
  netatalk-devel-1.5.3.1-4
  talk-server-0.17-17

All except `talk' and `talk-server' appear to be specialized or rely
upon the first two.

I have talk-0.17-17 installed:
rpm -qa |grep talk
   talk-0.17-17
With this only, none of the files you showed below are installed
  >  /etc/xinetd.d/ntalk
  > /etc/xinetd.d/talk
  > /usr/sbin/in.ntalkd
  > /usr/sbin/in.talkd

But note that the `talk' command is available:

  which talk
  /usr/bin/talk

  So attempting to install talk-server
like:
  up2date -i talk-server

Now note that talk-0.17-17 is gone:

  rpm -qa |grep talk
  talk-server-0.17-17

Note further that the `talk' command is no longer available

   which talk
  /usr/bin/which: no talk in ([...] <my_path>)

So having these files:
> /etc/xinetd.d/ntalk
> /etc/xinetd.d/talk
> /usr/sbin/in.ntalkd
> /usr/sbin/in.talkd

Is not very usefull if no talk command is available.

> "chkconfig ntalk on" should be enough.
  # chkconfig ntalk on
  # talk
  -bash: talk: command not found
  # ntalk
  -bash: ntalk: command not found

Something is wrong here.  Installing talk-server has removed `talk'.