Re: talk

On Sat, 08 Mar 2003 12:36:59 -0800, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Anyone else having problems with the `talk' program?
>
> I'm referring to
>   talk-0.17-17
>
> According to man page for `talk' it seems that is all that is required
> and refers to contacting a talk daemon.  However the only files
> installed with talk are:
>   /usr/bin/talk
>   /usr/share/man/man1/talk.1.gz
>
> No talkd which is mentioned in the `see also' part of `talk' manpage.
>
> This led me to think I needed another package `talk-server' but
> installing it causes `talk' to be uninstalled and vice versa.

Querying the rpms doesn't yield anything like that. The talk-server
packages only obsoletes an older "ntalk" package.

You would need a talk client/server pair on both ends of the
communication. Even on localhost, you would need the server.

> According to man page all I'm supposed to need is:
>
>    `talk some_user'
> But trying that only gives me this screen:
>   [No connection yet]
> [...]
>   [ Error on read from talk daemon: Connection refused. Press any
>   key... ]
>
> And then
>   [Checking for invitation on caller's machine]
>
> At this point if I touch enter or any key I'm back to my prompt.
>
> There doesn't seem to be any `talk' service or anything under
> xinetd.d to be turned on.

/etc/xinetd.d/ntalk
/etc/xinetd.d/talk
/usr/sbin/in.ntalkd
/usr/sbin/in.talkd

"chkconfig ntalk on" should be enough.

(Note that at least in.ntalkd is compiled with tcp wrappers.)

> Further, typing `mesg' on some_user's terminal shows:
>   $ mesg
>   is y
>
> I see nothing in the manpage to indicate further steps are necessary.
>
> Anyone recognize the problem?

- --