talk

Anyone else having problems with the `talk' program?

I'm referring to
  talk-0.17-17

According to man page for `talk' it seems that is all that is required
and refers to contacting a talk daemon.  However the only files
installed with talk are:
  /usr/bin/talk
  /usr/share/man/man1/talk.1.gz

No talkd which is mentioned in the `see also' part of `talk' manpage.

This led me to think I needed another package `talk-server' but
installing it causes `talk' to be uninstalled and vice versa.

According to man page all I'm supposed to need is:

   `talk some_user'
But trying that only gives me this screen:
  [No connection yet]
[...]
  [ Error on read from talk daemon: Connection refused. Press any
  key... ]

And then
  [Checking for invitation on caller's machine]

At this point if I touch enter or any key I'm back to my prompt.

There doesn't seem to be any `talk' service or anything under
xinetd.d to be turned on.

Further, typing `mesg' on some_user's terminal shows:
  $ mesg
  is y

I see nothing in the manpage to indicate further steps are necessary.

Anyone recognize the problem?