Re: installing Red Hat 8.0 on a system with 2 processors and 3 SCSIhard drives...

On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 21:10, Steve Strong wrote:
> I _think_ I know my hardware:
>
> 	no RAID controller
> 	Adaptec chip set
> 	the configuration is invoked at POST
>
> The BIOS sees the three SCSI at id's 0, 4 and 6.  The Red Hat installer
> does not see all the drives and I don't think it sees the two cpu's
> either.
>
> Does Red Hat 8.0 Professional support multiple cpu's and multiple SCSI
> hard drives not configured in RAID?
> steve
>
> On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 21:01, Craig White wrote:
> > On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 20:13, Steve Strong wrote:
> > > I work for a school and we've been given an HP Kayak server:
> > >
> > > 	2 500 mhz cpu's
> > > 	3 9 gig SCSI hard drives
> > >
> > > I can see the cpu's and hard drives in the BIOS, but the installer only
> > > sees one hard drive and I think just one cpu.  The SCSI driver is loaded
> > > without error messages during the install.
> > >
> > > Does Red Hat 8.0 Professional support multiple cpu's and SCSI hard
> > > drives?  If so, what am I doing wrong and if not, what a bummer!
> > -----
> > Is there a raid controller on the system?  If so, it's possible that the
> > raid configuration created only 1 system drive which is all that would
> > be seen by software...
> >
> > I would presume that all of the SCSI controllers would show themselves
> > and the methods to invoke the configuration during POST - Many of these
> > systems would have perhaps an Adaptec 78xxx compatible chipset embedded
> > on the motherboard along with a DAC 960 Raid controller in an ISA or PCI
> > slot and the hard drives would be on the Raid controller.
> >
> > Always a good thing to know your hardware first...
-------
Sounds good - you might have an adaptec controller that isn't supported
well in linux - I have had some problems with the AHA-131 or 151, I
don't recall which but they weren't supported by Win2K either.

In a general answer to a general question, yes, RH 8 does have support
for dual processor & SCSI hard drives and many different SCSI
controllers. You may need to load a driver disk for the Adaptec
controller - the next step would be to identify which Adaptec controller
it is. The motherboard identification might be helpful - there has been
a number of problems associated with the Intel 440GX motherboards.

Also - if you purchased RH 8.0 Professional, you can get 60 days of
support to help you install but I'm sure that some here can help you if
we had more details.

Craig