Re: how do I install to Hw RAID (Promise 20265 Fasttrak 100)

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 11:48:31AM -0700, Guy Fraser wrote:
> Hi
>
> There was some discussion about this a while back.
>
> There were some tests done and IIRC the promise controler had better
> performance when used as a standard IDE controller using the linux software
> raid. Again IIRC the raid "firmware" on the card actually just enables a BIOS
> extension and the raid runs in BIOS.
>
> Since the raid is not running in hardware on the card, but uses the system
> processor, this could be defined as software raid. The fact that it comes from
> an eprom and runs as a BIOS program does not negate the fact that it uses the
> system processor. True hardware raid does all of its processing on the card
> itself with it's own processor.
>
> This type of raid card is equivilent to a soft modem in the modem category.
>
> If you want a good ATA RAID card, the best I have researched are from 3ware.
> 3ware also actively supports linux and there drivers are in the maintained in
> the kernel source. There have been benchmark tests and the 3ware ATA RAID
> cards blew everyone out of the water in RAID mode and in JBOD mode.

Thanks for the explanation, Guy, it was very helpful.  Do the 3ware ATA RAID
controllers and drivers handle true hot-swap (with a hot-swap chassis, of
course)? or does one have to manually disable the to-be-removed drive before
removing and replacing it?

Thanks!

-Michael

--
In light of the terrorist attack on the U.S.:
	They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary