Re: how do I install to Hw RAID (Promise 20265 Fasttrak 100)

Hi

There was some discussion about this a while back.

There were some tests done and IIRC the promise controler had better
performance when used as a standard IDE controller using the linux software
raid. Again IIRC the raid "firmware" on the card actually just enables a BIOS
extension and the raid runs in BIOS.

Since the raid is not running in hardware on the card, but uses the system
processor, this could be defined as software raid. The fact that it comes from
an eprom and runs as a BIOS program does not negate the fact that it uses the
system processor. True hardware raid does all of its processing on the card
itself with it's own processor.

This type of raid card is equivilent to a soft modem in the modem category.

If you want a good ATA RAID card, the best I have researched are from 3ware.
3ware also actively supports linux and there drivers are in the maintained in
the kernel source. There have been benchmark tests and the 3ware ATA RAID
cards blew everyone out of the water in RAID mode and in JBOD mode.

Guy