Re: how do I install to Hw RAID (Promise 20265 Fasttrak 100)

On Monday 20 January 2003 20:53, Charles A. Crayne uttered:
> It is NOT software RAID from the point of view of the linux kernel, and
> there is a separate hardware controller for the IDE RAID arrays [which can
> be disabled by a physical jumper] than there is for non-RAID IDE drives,
> but Peter feels that since it takes a device driver to make the RAID array
> look like a single drive, then it should be called software RAID.

No, thats not why it's software raid.  It's software raid because it sends all
the raid processing back to the host cpu, instead of dealing with it on the
card.  Hardware raid cards have a CPU on the card, and they handle all the
raid data on the card itself.  Promise just sends all that info back to the
host cpu, through the driver, and thus it's software raid.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
For Web Services and Linux Consulting, Visit --> j2Solutions.net

Was I helpful?  Let others know: