Re: how do I install to Hw RAID (Promise 20265 Fasttrak 100)

On Sun, 2003-01-12 at 06:52, Charles A. Crayne wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 00:02:29 -0500
> "Peter Larsen" <plarsen@famlarsen.homelinux.com> wrote:
>
> :I'm never going to get used to the oxymoron IDE RAID :)
>
> If you think that "IDE RAID" is an oxymoron, what terms
> of abuse do you reserve for "SOFTWARE RAID", which seems to be the
> only form of RAID which Linux actually understands?

linux currently understands several forms of software raid
1) "native" raid, as in "md"
2) Promise software raid0
3) Highpoint software raid0

Promise Fasttrack raid IS software raid. Everything is done in software
on the host CPU. Be it in the pdcraid driver or in the binary only
driver you can download from promise. Hardware raid means all (or most)
of the work is done on a cpu or other hardware on the card, which isn't
the case for promise or highpoint raid.