Re: (OT) Email and printing

Lester Bauman wrote:

Sigh. All this would have taken me a half hour to set up in Windows...
I know this doesn't help with your problem, but I just bought an HP Deskjet 6122 and connected it to my Linksys Printserver. I had it up and running in less than 5 minutes on each of my linux boxes using CUPS. On my Win2K box, it took a day and a half of reboots, reinstalls, and two 20 minute long-distance phone calls to HP (and they could not figure it out!).

I'm not familiar with the Xerox model you are trying to print to, but looking at:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=164576

it basically says the printer works well as a paperweight with linux. :(

For the modem question, an external modem should work great with linux. A lot of internal modems are winmodems, and use a lot of system resources. IIRC, a few winmodems will work with linux and some will not.

http://www.linmodems.org/

We could give you more assistance if you gave us a make and model for the modem you are trying to use, and any messages you are seeing when you try to use the modem.