Re: Tripwire

I have this idea I am thinking of using for deploying Tripwire on our
servers.  Newly installed servers (I always start from scratch) will never
have all the files included in the policy file since it assumes everything
is installed (I on the other hand do custom installs to minimize disk space
and exposure).  Anyway, what I was thinking was this:

1. run tripwire with default policy
2. errors generated will be grepped for lines beginning with "Filename:" and
redirected to a logfile
3. use a custom script to remove or comment out the filenames in the logfile
from the default policy file

Be aware though that although in theory this will work, I haven't personally
used this method as I am still in the process of re-installing my servers
with 8.0, but it should work.  Even a shell script ought to do the work.
Most of the time I use this scripting method to solve repetitive problems
(problems that will occur again over time or on another system).

Regards,

Marlon Yu