Re: Tripwire

Randy Kelsoe wrote:
Michael Fratoni wrote:

I do not understand what to do?? I have looked at the man pages and I
am still confused.

Please explain further.

[snip]
I'd be thrilled if someone proves me wrong... ;)

- -- - -Michael
Sorry, Michael. I see the same behavior that you do. Wish it were as easy as the previous poster mentioned. :)

Tom, the man pages drove me nuts and I gave up on tripwire for a while. I ended up needing it, and this time I found the Tripwire section in the RedHat 8.0 reference guide.
IMHO, Tripwire 2.x became overly complicated by trying to be secure on the hard disk, hence all the crypto signing of the policy file and mutiple keys. The 1.2 version was much, much easier and is still the version I use today on my public servers. While the 1.2 version doesn't have the signed files, you can make it just as secure as the 2.x version by storing your check script, tripwire program, configuration file, and database on read-only media like a write protected floppy or a CD.

You might have to dig around on the web a bit to find it, but I've been dragging it along with me for awhile now.

If you are looking for an alternative to tripwire, check out aide:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~rammer/aide.html

Best Regards,
Keith
--