Re: Tripwire

Michael Fratoni wrote:
I do not understand what to do?? I have looked at the man pages and I
am still confused.

Please explain further.

The above method will update the database for changed files (violations) only. To the best of my knowledge, it is not possible to deal with the file system errors using this method. Files which simply don't exist must be edited manually in the policy file. Once you have a correct policy file, the method above is fine for approving file system modifications in the future.
When I get a report following a package upgrade (for example), I can review the changes, and then just run:
tripwire --update -a -r /path/to/twreportname
and enter the site pass phrase. Done.

However, if I remove a package....
The file system errors occur until I fix the policy file and update the database.

I'd be thrilled if someone proves me wrong... ;)

- -- - -Michael

Sorry, Michael. I see the same behavior that you do. Wish it were as easy as the previous poster mentioned. :)

Tom, the man pages drove me nuts and I gave up on tripwire for a while. I ended up needing it, and this time I found the Tripwire section in the RedHat 8.0 reference guide.

Check out:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/ref-guide/ch-tripwire.html

If you still need some help, please email me offline and I will be glad to help. You have helped me a lot and I would like to return the favor.

RK