Re: help for list users

Jim Christiansen writes....

> Thank you to everyone with replies to my question about listing users on a
> box.  I even got a lesson on awk!  (I say to myself "Jim, you ought to look
> at awk sometime soon and figure out how it always seems to be so useful for
> people..." and then before I know it, I get a crash course!)

The AWK programmers are going to flame me for this, but......
AWK and sed go real hand-in-hand in writing scripts.  However,
since Perl came along, it has combined the two along with LOTS
of other neat toys making it a good replacement.
If you want to learn a VERY useful scripting language, I'd start
with Perl.

> And also, I was intimating that I may have had unauthorized users, so you
> all have good "reading-between-the-lines" skills  ;-)

Might want to look at something like Tripwire to monitor stuff like that.
It's pretty good at watching for things that should not, or rarely change
and gives you a warning.  May not stop them from getting in, but
may alert you so you can stop them before they use your box for nasty
stuff.

> Thanks again,
>
> Jim

-- Jay Crews