Re: Psyche-list digest, Vol 1 #832 - 15 msgs

>Message: 6
>Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 15:12:13 -0800 (PST)
>From: anthony baldwin <mrbaldwin@school-library.net>
>To: "Psyche  RedHat" <psyche-list@redhat.com>
>Subject: ghosts in the machine (or just another UTS?)
>
>I tried to install kcreatecd and was told there was a missing dep, mpg123
>Now, I thought that I had installed that, so I found the tar for it in my /home and extracted it again and installed it.
>Then I tried to install kcreatecd from rpm again, and I got the same message, that
>mpg123 was "unlocatable". (Same msg about libvorbisfile.so.0).
>Is this a UTS bug?
>Also, I have installed j2re-1_4_1 (from sun) about a dozen times, (I get a message stating that it IS installed, so I have removed and re-installed, even) and still can't seem to run java stuff. (java -jar swingman.jar gives nothing, etc.) AND on top of that, I finally got around to updating my OO.o to 1.0.1, and the setup said that java was not available.
>Another UTS bug?
>
>tony
>
>http://www.School-Library.net
>Read, Connect, Learn!
>Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you@yourchoice.com w/No Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag
>

>--__--__--
>
>Message: 7
>From: Jesse Keating <hosting@j2solutions.net>
>To: psyche-list@redhat.com
>Subject: Re: ghosts in the machine (or just another UTS?)
>Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 16:23:37 -0800
>
>On Wednesday 15 January 2003 15:12, anthony baldwin wrote:
>> I tried to install kcreatecd and was told there was a missing dep, mpg123
>> Now, I thought that I had installed that, so I found the tar for it in my
>> /home and extracted it again and installed it. Then I tried to install
>> kcreatecd from rpm again, and I got the same message, that mpg123 was
>> "unlocatable". (Same msg about libvorbisfile.so.0).
>> Is this a UTS bug?
>
>No... RPMS can not satisfy dependencies from source installed software.  If an
>rpm has a dep, you must install an rpm to fix it.

Really?  that seems kinda silly to me...I thought rpm was just a rh self-extracting way of packaging, and when installed, the same code was installed as if compiled from source.  guess that shows what I know.

>> Also, I have installed j2re-1_4_1 (from sun) about a dozen times, (I get a
>> message stating that it IS installed, so I have removed and re-installed,
>> even) and still can't seem to run java stuff. (java -jar swingman.jar gives
>> nothing, etc.) AND on top of that, I finally got around to updating my OO.o
>> to 1.0.1, and the setup said that java was not available.   Another UTS
>> bug?
>
>Java rpm installs to a pretty funky location.  /lib/java/version/foo or
>something.  rpm -ql $javarpm to see where it puts the files, then update your
>path and javapath accordingly.

What the...here are the results...

$ rpm -ql $javarpm
rpmq: no arguments given for query
[tony@localhost programs]$

There is a nice little howto found here:
>http://www.halley.cc/ed/linux/howto/

Hmmm...I just did this:
$ rpm -ivh j2re-1_4_1-rc-linux-i586.rpm
and got this:
error: cannot get exclusive lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Operation not permitted (1)
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
[tony@localhost programs]$

Tried the older version:

$ rpm -ivh jre-1.3.1_06.i586.rpm
error: cannot get exclusive lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Operation not permitted (1)
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
[tony@localhost programs]$

I then tried the mpg123 rpm and got the same message....hmmm...

I'm kinda stumped...more UTS

tony

http://www.School-Library.net
Read, Connect, Learn!