Cygwin

I know this is not directly related to RH8, but can I get some help as the
Cygwin web site and mail list is not very good?

I think I have downloaded all files I need, and have all the standard
directories in place like bin, etc...I can also use the CLI to view these
directories.

There are however 2 additional directories in the tree that were created
after having using the setup.exe program a few more times in error. These
seem to have a lot of utility files like bash, grep, gzip...and they are all
tar.gz's.

I can use commands like "ls -l" in the CLI but not "man". Is this because my
PATH is wrong, or do these files have to be untarred?

Appreciate your help

Regards

Scott