Kill app

About that kill app function.
I have run "man kill" and it is not in any decipherable language resembling
english.  I have, from time to time, had apps hang and not respond and the only recourse I have found is to log out.  I know that is a weak way to handle the issue, but I can ont figure for the life of me what I am supposed to do with that "kill" command.  What the heck is a pid and what signal or whatever belongs to the apps?!  I'm lost on that one.
I've been using Linux for about 9 months now and getting along pretty well, I think, for an english teacher who has only owned a computer for two years, but the documentation and man pages are often completely useless because they assume way too much in user knowledge.
I have, between my linux box and my iBook, become completely M$ free, I must say.  but I can see myself moving from PCs to Macs entirely.
Of course, I am trying to use gnu-darwin stuff, now, and have many of the same issues there.

tony

http://www.School-Library.net
Read, Connect, Learn!