Re: Kill app

On Thu, 2002-12-26 at 20:16, anthony baldwin wrote:
> About that kill app function.
> I have run "man kill" and it is not in any decipherable language resembling
> english.  I have, from time to time, had apps hang and not respond and the only recourse I have found is to log out.  I know that is a weak way to handle the issue, but I can ont figure for the life of me what I am supposed to do with that "kill" command.  What the heck is a pid and what signal or whatever belongs to the apps?!  I'm lost on that one.
> I've been using Linux for about 9 months now and getting along pretty well, I think, for an english teacher who has only owned a computer for two years, but the documentation and man pages are often completely useless because they assume way too much in user knowledge.
> I have, between my linux box and my iBook, become completely M$ free, I must say.  but I can see myself moving from PCs to Macs entirely.
> Of course, I am trying to use gnu-darwin stuff, now, and have many of the same issues there.
>
> tony
>
> http://www.School-Library.net
> Read, Connect, Learn!

If you have the XFree86-tools package installed, you can quickly kill a
windowed app using xkill. Hit Alt+F2 to bring up the Run Program dialog,
and enter "xkill" (without the quotes). Your cursor will turn into a
crosshair-like image - just position it anywhere in the window of the
offending application and hit the left mouse button (the right mouse
button will get rid of xkill without terminating anything). If it's
Evolution you're killing, you'll also want to run "killev" from a
command line to terminate all of the assorted  background processes that
evolution runs.