Re: Kill app

On Thursday 26 December 2002 20:16, anthony baldwin uttered:
> I have run "man kill" and it is not in any decipherable language resembling
> english.  I have, from time to time, had apps hang and not respond and the
> only recourse I have found is to log out.  I know that is a weak way to
> handle the issue, but I can ont figure for the life of me what I am
> supposed to do with that "kill" command.  What the heck is a pid and what
> signal or whatever belongs to the apps?!  I'm lost on that one.

Every process gets a Process ID, the pid.  kill expectes a PID, pkill expects
a process name.  killall expects a process name too, and will kill every
process with that name it finds.

You can run ps -auxw to see all your processes, in detail, using the width of
the screen.  One of the things it will give you is the process ID.  Or you
can use the more userfriendly choices of pkill or killall.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
For Web Services and Linux Consulting, Visit --> j2Solutions.net

Was I helpful?  Let others know: