Re: Best way to reinstall XFree and KDE?

On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 08:22:22PM +0100, Peter Boy wrote:
> I booted RH 8 to run level 3 and started xfs according to the
> instructions of your previous post. It started without any complain but
> when I stutdown the system there was a message like "stopping xfs
> failed".

Ok, that's a good sign, but doesn't necessarily rule out the
possibility that your X server can't communicate with the font server.
But your other log files seem more promising...

> My mouse is a PS/2 and works fine in runlevel 3.

Interesting...  Seems odd that it would work in runlevel 3 but not 5.
Can't think of anything off the top of my head that would cause that.

If this is the problem, there are a couple of things you might try.

 - tell the X server to ignore the mouse at start-up

   You can add the following line to your XF86Config file in the
   pointer section:

     Option "AllowMouseOpenFail" "true"

   This tells the X server to start even if it can't open the mouse
   device at init.  This won't help fix the problem, but may at least
   help identify it.

 - Change your pointer configuration

   Based on the log message, your X config seems to be going through
   gdm for the mouse.  You could configure it to use the mouse
   directly.  This may or may not interfere with the proper operation
   of gdm.  For example, since you're using a PS/2 mouse, you could
   change the relevant input device to something like this:

     Section "InputDevice"
   	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option      "Protocol" "PS/2"
	Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"
	Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
     EndSection

  If you have a wheel mouse, the following might be more appropriate:

    Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Mouse0"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
        Option          "Protocol"              "IMPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "no"
    EndSection

  First, shut of gdm.  Then make one of these changes as appropriate,
  then try to start X.

One other thing you might try is to reconfigure X with Red Hat's tool.
If it doesn't help, it might at least give you some indication as to
what the problem might be.  Then again, it might not.

> OK, might be the best solution to reinstall the system. Fortunately I
> already have separate partitions for /home, /usr/local, /opt and some
> subdirs of /var/lib which I backup regularly (but not the system
> partition  :-) )

Well, how you proceed from here depends mostly on how much work you
want to put in, and how much you want to know what the actual problem
was.  Re-installing should certainly fix the problem...

Good luck!

- --
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/