Re: Best way to reinstall XFree and KDE?

On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 01:08:02PM +0100, Peter Boy wrote:
> Am Don, 2002-12-26 um 05.10 schrieb Derek Martin:
> > Looks like the font server isn't starting...  Check /var/log/messages
> > for hints about that.
>
> Well, xfs isn't the prob:

Not convinced that's the case...  your X server logs indicate the
server was dying because it's not able to load the default font
"fixed" (which it uses as a fallback when it can't locate other fonts
specified in either your .Xdefaults file, or in system defaults
specified in files in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults).  But I don't
recall seeing any indication of /when/ that message appeared in your
logs, so it could be unrelated...

So, let's look at the other errors you've found:

> <------------------------------------------------------------------>
> Dec 25 23:34:09 ibmLinux modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
> char-major-188
> <------------------------------------------------------------------>
>
> Don't know what char-major-188 is.

You can find out using the command:

  $ ls -l /dev |grep '188,'

  crw-rw----    1 root     uucp     188,   0 Aug 30 19:31 ttyUSB0
  crw-rw----    1 root     uucp     188,   1 Aug 30 19:31 ttyUSB1
  crw-rw----    1 root     uucp     188,  10 Aug 30 19:31 ttyUSB10

So, as you can see, char-major-188 corresponds to the USB serial
devices.  This should be unrelated to your problem.  Even if your
mouse is a USB mouse, it shouldn't be using those...  USB mice
generally use /dev/input/mouse* devices.

> Some lines later there seems to be the real prob:
>
> <------------------------------------------------------------------>
> Dez 25 23:34:26 ibmLinux gdm[1455]: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler:
>                 Schwerwiegender X-Fehler - :0 wird erneut gestartet

This could well be a problem, but I don't read German.  :)

> Dec 25 23:34:26 ibmLinux modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
>                 char-major-10-134

This is for the apm bios driver.  Your /lib/modules/<kernelvers>
directory may have some corruption as a result of your power failure.
Did you see the system do the fsck after the power failure?  Do you
remember if it reported anything unusual?

look in the directory /lost+found on your system... are there files in
there?

What sort of mouse are you using?  I no longer have the message
where you posted snippets of your XF86Config file...  Can you re-post
the section that contains your mouse configuration?

If you have bad filesystem corruption (and presumably you're not doing
system backups), then the easiest thing to do might be to re-install
the system.  Be sure not to reformat partitions that contain your
data, like /home or maybe /usr/local, or whatever...  If these aren't
seperate partitions, you may want to consider making them seperate
partitions, because it makes recovering from this kind of problem much
easier.  If you do have to reformat them, be sure to copy your
important data somewhere so it can be restored after you re-install
the system.

- --
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/