Re: Re[5]: HPT370 controller

On Sat, 2002-12-21 at 13:59, Brian Curtis wrote:
> BC> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/ataraid/d0p1,
> BC>        or too many mounted file systems
>
> I forgot to add that the following was output to the terminal after
> trying mount w/ the above:
>
>   VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev ataraid(114,1).
>
> And trying mount w/o and fs spec:
>
>   FAT: bogus logical sector size 0
>   VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev 72:01.
>
> I also fond the following in dmesg output:
>
> Device Driver for HPT37x2 ATA RAID Controller
> Version 1.3, Compiled Dec 21 2002 11:52:27
> Found Controller: HPT370 UDMA/ATA100 RAID Controller
> scsi2 : hpt37x2
>   Vendor: HPT Inc.  Model: HPT37x2   RAID 0  Rev: 1.05
>   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Attached scsi disk sdd at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
> SCSI device sdd: 321672705 512-byte hdwr sectors (164696 MB)
>  sdd: sdd1
> kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
> EXT3-fs warning: revision level too high, forcing read-only mode
> EXT3-fs warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is recommended
> EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.18, 14 May 2002 on sd(8,49), internal journal
> EXT3-fs: recovery complete.
> EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
> scsi : 2 hosts left.
>  ataraid/d0: ataraid/d0p1
> Highpoint HPT370 Softwareraid driver for linux version 0.01
> Drive 0 is 78533 Mb
> Drive 1 is 78533 Mb
> Raid array consists of 2 drives.
>
> Which I can't make any sense from.  First, it's loading as scsi and
> assigning it to sdd1 (which is used to be with the hpt37x2 driver),
> then ataraid/d0p1.  Is that normal behavior, or could there be a
> collision between the ide-scsi emulation and the ataraid driver?

It sounds to me like there are two competing drivers that understand
this card hptraid and ataraid. What happens if you only load one of them
at a time? I believe what I used to play with was the ataraid, and it
seemed ugly at the time. The hptraid driver seems to allow the raid
array to be accessed like a single scsi disk. You might have to try both
individually to allow you not to have the disk locked as read only.

You're going to make me go buy some drives now, aren't you?  :)

> Also, hptdaemon is still being loaded at boot, should I switch this
> off?

Where does this come in? (Never even heard of it).