Re: Re[2]: HPT370 controller

On Sat, 2002-12-21 at 07:52, Brian Curtis wrote:
> Hello Chris,
>
> Friday, December 20, 2002, 8:43:03 PM, you wrote:
>
> CK> I'm using it's big brother the HPT372. I do so as a regular IDE
> CK> interface.
>
> CK> On Fri, 2002-12-20 at 17:43, Brian Curtis wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I'm wondering if anyone is using an HPT370 raid card under 8.0 w/o
> >> any problems?  Is there native support for this card finally?
> >>
> >> Any issues I should be aware of before upgrading a 7.3 box?
>
> CK> Depends on if you want to try to use it as a software raid (firmware) or
> CK> as a regular IDE card. As a regular card it's fine. as a software raid
> CK> it's doable, but I'm not sure 7.3 will auto detect and configure it
> CK> (doubt it).
>
> Well, I already two drives in a RAID0 array built using the card's own
> firmware tools (big mistake) in a 7.3 box.  I'm now having problems
> when manipulating files larger than 650mb -- Terminal will hang
> indefinitely when doing so, and the box will not shut down properly
> since files will be "in use" on the array and the kernel is unable to
> unmount it.
>
> I'm currently using the High Point supplied 2.4.18-3smp kernel and
> drivers since I could not get a custom built kernel to play nicely
> with this darn thing to save myself.  High Point does not have a
> kernel/drive set for 8.0, hence my hopes that Psyche has native
> support for this card.

Ewww.

I don't remember exactly how it works, but there is a module called
hptraid.o that I believe is for this card. I think it makes the array
available as /dev/ataraid/d0 (mbr) and partitions being
/dev/ataraid/d0p1 thru d0p15 for the first disk. I also don't know if
anaconda is aware of how to use this module, or if you need to set up
the system on another disk and then manually set this up. I don't have
enough drives to set this up and test it right now. The last time I
played with it was with my two 80 Gig Maxtor drives, but they are
permanently devoted to TiVo duty now. Maybe you can back up your
important stuff and play with it.