Re[4]: HPT370 controller

Hello Chris,

Saturday, December 21, 2002, 12:11:15 PM, you wrote:

>> Well, I already two drives in a RAID0 array built using the card's own
>> firmware tools (big mistake) in a 7.3 box.  I'm now having problems
>> when manipulating files larger than 650mb -- Terminal will hang
>> indefinitely when doing so, and the box will not shut down properly
>> since files will be "in use" on the array and the kernel is unable to
>> unmount it.
>>
>> I'm currently using the High Point supplied 2.4.18-3smp kernel and
>> drivers since I could not get a custom built kernel to play nicely
>> with this darn thing to save myself.  High Point does not have a
>> kernel/drive set for 8.0, hence my hopes that Psyche has native
>> support for this card.

CK> Ewww.

Agreed!

CK> I don't remember exactly how it works, but there is a module called
CK> hptraid.o that I believe is for this card. I think it makes the array
CK> available as /dev/ataraid/d0 (mbr) and partitions being
CK> /dev/ataraid/d0p1 thru d0p15 for the first disk. I also don't know if
CK> anaconda is aware of how to use this module, or if you need to set up
CK> the system on another disk and then manually set this up. I don't have
CK> enough drives to set this up and test it right now. The last time I
CK> played with it was with my two 80 Gig Maxtor drives, but they are
CK> permanently devoted to TiVo duty now. Maybe you can back up your
CK> important stuff and play with it.

Well, I just tried a few hacks floating around to try and make the 7.x
series driver work with 8.0.  Suffice it to say, the reset button got
it's yearly workout.

Should it be possible to use the ATARAID drivers to mount and use an
existing HPT BIOS based RAID0 stripe (I only have one RAID0 stripe
across two disks)?  I insmod'd ataraid.o and hptraid.o, then tried to
# mount -t ext3 /dev/ataraid/d0p1 /ataraid but ended up with the
following:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/ataraid/d0p1,
       or too many mounted file systems

I could mount the stripe with the hpt37x2 driver.  I just couldn't
manipulate data on the stripe (anything besides ls would crash the
SCSI driver -- and the whole box).

My IDE stripe contains non-OS based data (backups and the like), while
all my OS data resides on SCSI disks, so it isn't an issue of getting
things installed, but getting the HPT370 card to work in a running
system while using the existing stripe created in BIOS.

Thanks for the help so far.

--
Best regards,
 Brian Curtis