Re[7]: HPT370 controller

Hello Chris,

Saturday, December 21, 2002, 2:13:26 PM, you wrote:

CK> It sounds to me like there are two competing drivers that understand
CK> this card hptraid and ataraid. What happens if you only load one of them
CK> at a time? I believe what I used to play with was the ataraid, and it
CK> seemed ugly at the time. The hptraid driver seems to allow the raid
CK> array to be accessed like a single scsi disk. You might have to try both
CK> individually to allow you not to have the disk locked as read only.

Going by the ATARAID HOWTO at redhat.com/arjanv/pdcraid/ataraidhowto.html,
you insmod ataraid then [hpt|pdc]raid depending on your controller.  I
can insmod ataraid at any time, but ataraid.o has to be loaded first
or hptraid throws all kinds of unresolved symbol errors.

Well, now I'm starting to panic a bit...  I can no longer mount the
stripe using the the original hpt37x2 driver.  Keep getting:

  VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev ataraid(114,1).

when using -t ext3 or

  FAT: bogus logical sector size 0
  VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev 72:01.

when I don't specify fs type.  This happens with both drivers now,
the hpt37x2 driver allowed me to at least mount the strip before.

I'm wondering if I fubar'd my stripe some how...  Though I don't see how
as I never had the chance to modify data on it.  Quite frustrating...

Using fdisk, I get the following info when ataraid and hptraid is
loaded:

Disk /dev/ataraid/d0: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 20023 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

           Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/ataraid/d0p1             1     20023 160834716   83  Linux

And the same info when using the hpt37x2 driver and fdisk on /dev/sdd.

I'm holding out hope that I'll eventually have access to my data
once again (hopefully soon).

CK> You're going to make me go buy some drives now, aren't you?  :)

Umm, if I had spares, I'd send them your way :)

>> Also, hptdaemon is still being loaded at boot, should I switch this
>> off?

CK> Where does this come in? (Never even heard of it).

This was from the High Point provided driver package.  I'm removing it
as it doesn't seem to be necessary to load the hpt37x2 driver.  It was
for the gui that I never used (and it relies on the hpt37x2 driver).

--
Best regards,
 Brian Curtis