Re: Using SMB to connect to AppleShare 6.3 server

On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 00:03, Iain Buchanan wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 15:50, Craig White wrote:
> > On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 23:11, Craig White wrote:
> > > Trying to demo linux for a client that has an AppleShare 6.3.x server.
> > >
> > > I can connect to server with Windows client.
> > >
> > > I cannot connect to it with samba...
> [snip]
> > replying to my own post...
> >
> > duh, I may have just figured it out...funny how when you get away from
> > the problem, type it up for others and have a moment to think about it,
> > the answer comes...
> >
> > I never have used the command but apparently there is a 'max protocol =
> > ' command and I probably have to downgrade from the default of NT1 to
> > LANMAN1 or so.
> [snip]
> indeed there is!  From the samba help:
> min protocol (G)
>
>         The value of the parameter (a string) is the lowest SMB protocol
>         dialect than Samba will support. Please refer to the max
>         protocol parameter for a list of valid protocol names and a
>         brief description of each. You may also wish to refer to the C
>         source code in source/smbd/negprot.c for a listing of known
>         protocol dialects supported by clients.
>
>         If you are viewing this parameter as a security measure, you
>         should also refer to the lanman auth parameter. Otherwise, you
>         should never need to change this parameter.
>
>         Default : min protocol = CORE
>
>         Example : min protocol = NT1 # disable DOS clients
>
> I have min protocol set to NT1 because I like the extra security.  It
> depends on what your windows client can handle.
>
> max protocol says
> max protocol (G)
>
>         The value of the parameter (a string) is the highest protocol
>         level that will be supported by the server.
>
>         Possible values are :
>
>               * CORE: Earliest version. No concept of user names.
>
>               * COREPLUS: Slight improvements on CORE for efficiency.
>
>               * LANMAN1: First  modern version of the protocol. Long
>                 filename support.
>
>               * LANMAN2: Updates to Lanman1 protocol.
>
>               * NT1: Current up to date version of the protocol. Used by
>                 Windows NT. Known as CIFS.
>
>         Normally this option should not be set as the automatic
>         negotiation phase in the SMB protocol takes care of choosing the
>         appropriate protocol.
>
>         See also min protocol
>
>         Default: max protocol = NT1
>
>         Example: max protocol = LANMAN1
>
> and finally this may also be of interest
>
> lanman auth (G)
>
>         This parameter determines whether or not smbd will attempt to
>         authenticate users using the LANMAN password hash. If disabled,
>         only clients which support NT password hashes (e.g. Windows
>         NT/2000 clients, smbclient, etc... but not Windows 95/98 or the
>         MS DOS network client) will be able to connect to the Samba
>         host.
>
>         Default : lanman auth = yes
>
> Hope this helps get it going.  I usually start from the most acceptive
> point (no security, lowest protocols) and then raise them one by one
> [...]
------
This has me a bit worried. First off, it's not a Windows client that is
trying to connect...I am trying to connect to an AppleShare IP server
which supports (at least on some levels) SMB connections.

If the default max protocol = NT1
and the default min protocol = CORE

then it should have worked by downshifting to whichever was acceptable
to the AppleShare IP Server

I guess I'll have to play with this.

Craig