Re: Using SMB to connect to AppleShare 6.3 server

On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 15:50, Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 23:11, Craig White wrote:
> > Trying to demo linux for a client that has an AppleShare 6.3.x server.
> >
> > I can connect to server with Windows client.
> >
> > I cannot connect to it with samba...
[snip]
> replying to my own post...
>
> duh, I may have just figured it out...funny how when you get away from
> the problem, type it up for others and have a moment to think about it,
> the answer comes...
>
> I never have used the command but apparently there is a 'max protocol =
> ' command and I probably have to downgrade from the default of NT1 to
> LANMAN1 or so.
[snip]
indeed there is!  From the samba help:
min protocol (G)

        The value of the parameter (a string) is the lowest SMB protocol
        dialect than Samba will support. Please refer to the max
        protocol parameter for a list of valid protocol names and a
        brief description of each. You may also wish to refer to the C
        source code in source/smbd/negprot.c for a listing of known
        protocol dialects supported by clients.

        If you are viewing this parameter as a security measure, you
        should also refer to the lanman auth parameter. Otherwise, you
        should never need to change this parameter.

        Default : min protocol = CORE

        Example : min protocol = NT1 # disable DOS clients

I have min protocol set to NT1 because I like the extra security.  It
depends on what your windows client can handle.

max protocol says
max protocol (G)

        The value of the parameter (a string) is the highest protocol
        level that will be supported by the server.

        Possible values are :

              * CORE: Earliest version. No concept of user names.

              * COREPLUS: Slight improvements on CORE for efficiency.

              * LANMAN1: First  modern version of the protocol. Long
                filename support.

              * LANMAN2: Updates to Lanman1 protocol.

              * NT1: Current up to date version of the protocol. Used by
                Windows NT. Known as CIFS.

        Normally this option should not be set as the automatic
        negotiation phase in the SMB protocol takes care of choosing the
        appropriate protocol.

        See also min protocol

        Default: max protocol = NT1

        Example: max protocol = LANMAN1

and finally this may also be of interest

lanman auth (G)

        This parameter determines whether or not smbd will attempt to
        authenticate users using the LANMAN password hash. If disabled,
        only clients which support NT password hashes (e.g. Windows
        NT/2000 clients, smbclient, etc... but not Windows 95/98 or the
        MS DOS network client) will be able to connect to the Samba
        host.

        Default : lanman auth = yes

Hope this helps get it going.  I usually start from the most acceptive
point (no security, lowest protocols) and then raise them one by one
until I find the best the client can handle.
--
Iain Buchanan <iain@nospam.pcorp.com.au>
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for you are crunchy and good