Re: Using SMB to connect to AppleShare 6.3 server

On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 23:11, Craig White wrote:
> Trying to demo linux for a client that has an AppleShare 6.3.x server.
>
> I can connect to server with Windows client.
>
> I cannot connect to it with samba...
>
> mount -t smbfs -o "username=administrator,password=password"
> //SERVER/Share /mnt/mountpoint
>
> After a 30 second effort, it returns "protocol error"
>
> likewise...
>
> smbclient -L //SERVER
> or
> smbclient -L //ip_address
>
> doesn't work either - it's strange. I tried encrypt passwords = yes and
> I tried it with no and it didn't make a difference. The computer
> connected to my Windows server at home - no problem and I do this all
> the time. The weak link is obviously the way AppleShare 6.3 server
> serves SMB connections. Has anyone gotten this type of setup to work?
> Workgroup Name is correct.

------
replying to my own post...

duh, I may have just figured it out...funny how when you get away from
the problem, type it up for others and have a moment to think about it,
the answer comes...

I never have used the command but apparently there is a 'max protocol =
' command and I probably have to downgrade from the default of NT1 to
LANMAN1 or so.

Anyway, if anyone has run in to this before, I would love to hear about
it since I don't want to waste too much time since this is only a demo
anyway.

Now the laserprinters have me stumped...

Craig