Using SMB to connect to AppleShare 6.3 server

Trying to demo linux for a client that has an AppleShare 6.3.x server.

I can connect to server with Windows client.

I cannot connect to it with samba...

mount -t smbfs -o "username=administrator,password=password"
//SERVER/Share /mnt/mountpoint

After a 30 second effort, it returns "protocol error"

likewise...

smbclient -L //SERVER
or
smbclient -L //ip_address

doesn't work either - it's strange. I tried encrypt passwords = yes and
I tried it with no and it didn't make a difference. The computer
connected to my Windows server at home - no problem and I do this all
the time. The weak link is obviously the way AppleShare 6.3 server
serves SMB connections. Has anyone gotten this type of setup to work?
Workgroup Name is correct.

also - related...

I'm having trouble connecting to either printer in the office...The
first is an HP LaserJet IIISi (very old network card) and a Toshiba
Copier. Both support TCP/IP but I can't use LPR to print to either. I
have tried to connect using LPR to AppleShare 6.3 print server but the
HP just gets the page, flashes a bit and then resets back to ready mode.
Apparently AppleShare 6.3 doesn't make the printers available as an
Windows printer and the NIC on the IIISi apparently doesn't support
HPJetAdmin type connections either - because of it's ancient roots.

If you have networked laserprinters that don't really support true LPR,
is there a way to make them work?

I'll take suggestions on either topic, I spent an hour and a half on
those problems and I'm stumped.

Craig