Re: A thought about psyche

On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 10:46, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> People complain about all sorts of things but in RH 8.0 when installed
> the naive user has immediate access to the applications he most wants in
> Windows. He finds the equivalent of Windows Office and a browser. That
> is all that most Windows users want. They rarely pay attention to
> Microsoft updates but if they do they work almost exactly as up2date
> does. It is not a matter of dumbing us down but giving the average user
> just what they want without having to sorry about the deeper stuff, They
> can use and ISP just as they can with Windows. I still thing its clever
> on the part of RedHat to do this assuming this was their conscious
> decision.

No.

They also want to listen to their collection of mp3s.  They want to
visit web sites that make use of Macromedia Flash player and Java and
Realplayer and Quicktime and Microsoft Media Player formats.  They want
their web browser to Just Work with their favorite web sites and not
have to deal with the politics and technicalities of non-standard HTML.
Of course, they can't even connect to the internet with the world's
largest ISP.

And, increasingly, they want to browse their home smb networks, burn
CDs, watch DVDs without skipping and stuttering, and log on to their
workplace networks, all of which requires extra twiddling with Red Hat.

And if you install the software that lets you do these things (and you
can't do it with up2date) then you have to figure out where in the heck
it is on the Gnome or KDE menu, if it's even there at all.

Red Hat's policy of Open Source purity comes with a price, and that is a
diminishment of usability for these "naive" users.

I'm not saying Red Hat should change for their sake, just disagreeing
with the OP.

--
John