Re: Updating to Evo 1.2

On Mon, 2002-11-18 at 10:24, T Gloster wrote:
> I went to Ximnian.com about a month ago and downloaded red carpet. When
> I tried to run it, I got an error message saying something to the effect
> of "Red Hat 8.0 doesn't support this version of red carpet."
>
> I went again and downloaded the new version that says it's meant for
> 8.0. When I follow the instructions to try to install it, it tells me
> that it is already installed. When I run "red-carpet" I get prompted for
> my root password and nothing happens.
I had that problem too.  I really encourage you to use the redhat rpms
from http://people.redhat.com/~katzj/evolution/RPMS/
but if you really want red-carpet, I found the way around this was to:
run it from a terminal (in foreground, ie. no '&')
enter password when prompted from password box
you will probably now see another password prompt on the terminal, but
this can be ignored.  Hit enter a few times, or try ctrl-z and 'bg'.  I
have no idea why it behaves like this, but I had to do some wierd things
to get it to start...
--
Iain Buchanan <iain@nospam.pcorp.com.au>
Earth -- mother of the most beautiful women in the universe.