Re: Multi-Gnome-Terminal + slrn problem

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 04:55:18PM -0700, Monte Milanuk wrote:

> Well, that kind of worked.  As I originally indicated, I'd changed the
> setting in /etc/sysconfig/i18n from 'LANG="en_US.UTF8"' to 'LANG="C"',
> to get some things straightened out in screen w/ regards to viewing man
> pages.  I changed to 'LANG="en_US"', and now slrn works fine in MGT, but
> not in screen in MGT.  Still had the funny boxes, so I changed the font
> over to lucidatypewriter-medium-12, and it now shows 'tq>' and 'mq>'
> instead of '->'.  And to add insult to injury, the man pages now display
> properly w/ regards to word wrap (the original problem), but paging down
> now is extremely jerky and takes several seconds per page.

Hmmm...I am little confused what combination of settings cause which
problems :/ And I have to plead complete ignorance of screen. Its not
even installed here. So is that a separate Tab, or do you run srln
over the top of screen? You can really customize Tabs almost
infinitely. For instance, you could probably use edit commands to have Tabs
with different LANGs. Set the command to a script, and set whatever
environment you want there, and then launch whatever shell or app from
the script. Or have custom .bashrc files for Tabs, and invoke bash as
'bash --rcfile .myrc' or whatever.

As to the jerkiness, I think there may be some MGT problems with
colors and font shadowing (in case you have both on). The font
shadowing is quite cool on transparent backgrounds for contrast, but
may use some hefty CPU on slower machines. This can be disabled per
Tab too if you want (in Tab Preferences on 1.6.1).

This may all sound like a PITA, but if you do the same kinds of things
routinely, it is well worth it to set up custom Tabs with Edit Commands
IMO.

--
Hal Burgiss