Multi-Gnome-Terminal + slrn problem

Hello, all.

Since RedHat decided not to package rxvt w/ 8.0 (probably not a bad
choice, as it appears rxvt is dead in the water since 4/2000), I went
out looking for a new terminal client to use in XFCE.  xterm works, more
or less, but I guess I've never really liked it, probably since it
always has such butt-ugly default colors in most distros.  aterm was a
possible choice, but it hasn't been touched since sometime in 2001
either.  So I went w/ Multi-Gnome-Terminal, which has about everything I
need, plus no need for umpteen windows open at the same time since I can
use tabs.  First problem was getting screen to play nicely, which
required setting the locale back to 'C' (thanks Jesse!!), and now for
the next problem child:  slrn.

Slrn fired up ok, and worked rather nicely, until I went to expand a
thread.  In MGT, using screen, it showed the infamous 'mq> instead of
'->' for the threading arrows.  In MGT w/ no screen, it showed some kind
of funky dotted box, kind of like what you see in some html articles
instead of a " ' ".  In xterm it worked as advertised.

One other slrn question:  on a terminal client w/ a transparent
background, how do I get slrn to stop showing the solid black background
and use the background of the terminal?

Thanks,

Monte