Re: Multi-Gnome-Terminal + slrn problem

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 03:12:29PM -0700, Monte Milanuk wrote:

> Slrn fired up ok, and worked rather nicely, until I went to expand a
> thread.  In MGT, using screen, it showed the infamous 'mq> instead
> of '->' for the threading arrows.  In MGT w/ no screen, it showed
> some kind of funky dotted box, kind of like what you see in some
> html articles instead of a " ' ".  In xterm it worked as
> advertised.

Hmmm...I use slrn in MGT all the time, I haven't seen this. I think
the box you are talking about is what you get when there is no
character available within the specified font. My only suggestions are
that the UTF-8 LANG extensions break the pseudo graphics line drawing
characters in MGT that slrn uses for threading (and mutt too). So I
use LANG=en_US for instance. Also, maybe try another font.
lucidatypewriter seems to work well with mgt in slrn, mutt, etc, etc,
etc.

> One other slrn question:  on a terminal client w/ a transparent
> background, how do I get slrn to stop showing the solid black background
> and use the background of the terminal?

You need to use the 'default' keyword. Like:

%---------------------------------------------------------
% Colors
%---------------------------------------------------------
color header_number "green"        default
%"white"
color header_name   "green"        default
color normal        "white"        default
%"white"
color error         "red"          "white"
color status        "yellow"       "blue"
color group         "cyan"         default
color article       "white"        default

[...]

IIRC. Pretty sure this is in the docs. You have to do some variation
of that for some other apps too like mc, pinfo, etc.

--
Hal Burgiss