Re: Multi-Gnome-Terminal + slrn problem

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 18:45:43 -0400
Hal Burgiss <hal@foobox.net> wrote:
> Hmmm...I use slrn in MGT all the time, I haven't seen this. I think
> the box you are talking about is what you get when there is no
> character available within the specified font. My only suggestions are
>
> that the UTF-8 LANG extensions break the pseudo graphics line drawing
> characters in MGT that slrn uses for threading (and mutt too). So I
> use LANG=en_US for instance. Also, maybe try another font.
> lucidatypewriter seems to work well with mgt in slrn, mutt, etc, etc,
> etc.

Well, that kind of worked.  As I originally indicated, I'd changed the
setting in /etc/sysconfig/i18n from 'LANG="en_US.UTF8"' to 'LANG="C"',
to get some things straightened out in screen w/ regards to viewing man
pages.  I changed to 'LANG="en_US"', and now slrn works fine in MGT, but
not in screen in MGT.  Still had the funny boxes, so I changed the font
over to lucidatypewriter-medium-12, and it now shows 'tq>' and 'mq>'
instead of '->'.  And to add insult to injury, the man pages now display
properly w/ regards to word wrap (the original problem), but paging down
now is extremely jerky and takes several seconds per page.

> > One other slrn question:  on a terminal client w/ a transparent
> > background, how do I get slrn to stop showing the solid black
> > background and use the background of the terminal?
>
> You need to use the 'default' keyword. Like:
>

> %---------------------------------------------------------
> % Colors
> %---------------------------------------------------------
> color header_number "green"        default
> %"white"
> color header_name   "green"        default
> color normal        "white"        default
> %"white"
> color error         "red"          "white"
> color status        "yellow"       "blue"
> color group         "cyan"         default
> color article       "white"        default
>
> [...]
>
> IIRC. Pretty sure this is in the docs. You have to do some variation
> of that for some other apps too like mc, pinfo, etc.

Thanks, I'll have to experiment more w/ that tomorrow when I get back
from work.  Gotta love rotating 12-hr shift work ;)

I'm about half-tempted to reinstall back to 7.3, as there isn't that
much benefit in 8.0 for me (running on older hardware) and see if the
problem is there too.  For the life of me, I don't remember having these
sort of issues before.

Monte