Re: Beta testing Linux (was: Re: vmware on RH 8.0)

Bernd Kunze wrote:
> I see where you coming from, but that's the extra work included for what?

I'm not sure I understand. What "extra" work?
You going to have backups of any production system.
You going to take notes during the beta.
You going to take notes while configuring the new version.

> On another box I upgarded debian unstable to stable with apt-get
> upgrade... No tweaks necessary.

What kind of support do you get on that system from Debian?

It'll work on a Red Hat box. You just won't get direct, paid
for support for it from Red Hat. Some 3rd party might support
it though.

> Kickstart is great for large deployments, no questions asked.

It's great for Development boxes too. Since the install
creates ks.cfg file for you, that closely matches what
you need to reinstall, use it.

I have a ks.cfg file for a box I use to test new kernels
and XFree86 releases. I also use it for several development
apps. These don't come in rpm fomat, and can trash the system.
When taht happens, I boot a floppy with ks.cfg, and kickstart
set as the default. It installs form my normal, stable workstation.
In less than 1 hour it's back to a usable state.

That's not a large deployment. And it's been helpfull with a few
2.5.x kernel, that liked to trash the filesystems.

	-Thomas