Re: Beta testing Linux (was: Re: vmware on RH 8.0)

On Sun, 2002-10-13 at 00:02, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> there is always a certain frustration with investing time in beta-testing
> red hat, only to find upon the official release that there are really
> painfully obvious glitches in the system.
>
> consider this last cycle -- after *three* different betas, i installed
> psyche only to find that hwbrowser fails utterly.  how did this get past
> the beta testing?
>
> i still like being part of the beta testing phase, but i've quietly
> noticed more people say they're going to skip any more x.0 releases
> and wait for the x.1.  i don't think this is a good testimonial for
> the entire beta testing process.
>
> comments?
>
> rday

I think many of us just never used the distribution in certain ways
while it was a "beta", so certain things slipped through the cracks.
Despite this, I feel that this past beta cycle created an overall much
better product than the last x.0.  The only thing I'm really dismayed
about is the broken RPM, which is deadly serious problem. =(

Warren