Re: Beta testing Linux (was: Re: vmware on RH 8.0)

On 13 Oct 2002, Michèl Alexandre Salim wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 14:07, Joe Klemmer wrote:
> > things.  Ironically, as the total number of users explodes, the ratio of
> > beta testers is shrinking.  I would not be surprised to find that the
> > total number of people who test new kernels and distros is less than it
> > was 6 or 8 years ago.
> >
> Well, I do beta test every single Red Hat release since 7.2 (or was it
> 7.1?), and did not used to last time before I had a fast connection :p.
> As for kernels, though, the 2.5 series still insist on locking up solid
> straight after GNOME finished loading, so no go there.

there is always a certain frustration with investing time in beta-testing
red hat, only to find upon the official release that there are really
painfully obvious glitches in the system.

consider this last cycle -- after *three* different betas, i installed
psyche only to find that hwbrowser fails utterly.  how did this get past
the beta testing?

i still like being part of the beta testing phase, but i've quietly
noticed more people say they're going to skip any more x.0 releases
and wait for the x.1.  i don't think this is a good testimonial for
the entire beta testing process.

comments?

rday