Re: Beta testing Linux (was: Re: vmware on RH 8.0)

On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 14:07, Joe Klemmer wrote:
> things.  Ironically, as the total number of users explodes, the ratio of
> beta testers is shrinking.  I would not be surprised to find that the
> total number of people who test new kernels and distros is less than it
> was 6 or 8 years ago.

Well, I do beta test every single Red Hat release since 7.2 (or was it
7.1?), and did not used to last time before I had a fast connection :p.
As for kernels, though, the 2.5 series still insist on locking up solid
straight after GNOME finished loading, so no go there.

If you use fancy hardware, you still need to do quite a bit of work -
thing is, vendor-distributed kernels have gotten to the point that it's
too much hassle to get the same level of integration from patching the
kernel tree yourself, that what I do nowadays is grab the latest Red Hat
kernel-source and apply the minimum number of modifications (ALSA and
Wireless NG)

Regards,

--
Michèl Alexandre Salim