vmware on RH 8.0

The following information was gleaned from the information on
news://news.vmware.com and although it "works for me", your milage may vary.

1.  Late in the development cycle RH introduced a scheduler-fixes patch to the
kernel which causes vmware to panic/crash when you shutdown/poweroff the
guest.  The fix is to use a replacement for nice().  This is available at:
http://www.angelfire.com/linux/ylai/

This is needed to run both the 3.1.1 and 3.2 versions (I don't know about
others).  If you (for some reason) cannot get libnice.tar.gz from the above,
email me and I will send you a copy (it is only 10K).  After installing
libnice.so, you use it by doing:

LD_PRELOAD=libnice.so  vmware

to run vmware.

2. With respect to 3.2, after installing 3.2, configure the kernel source
properly:

 a) edit ?makefile so that EXTRAVERSION matches the kernel you are running
 b) copy the config file for the kernel you are running from configs to
arch/i386/defconfig
 c) make mrproper
 d) make oldconfig
 e) make dep