Beta testing Linux (was: Re: vmware on RH 8.0)

On Thu, 2002-10-10 at 12:40, HoytDuff wrote:

> This may the bug that affects Win4Lin as well.
>
> So much for the value of beta testing.

	This brings up something that long-time Linux users have probably can
see.  In the early days (i.e. before kernel version 1.0) everyone ran
the latest and greatest kernel and apps.  You had to if you wanted to do
much of anything.  Things have changed now.  With Linux being in
production in so many areas people are less inclined to beta test
things.  Ironically, as the total number of users explodes, the ratio of
beta testers is shrinking.  I would not be surprised to find that the
total number of people who test new kernels and distros is less than it
was 6 or 8 years ago.

	I don't see how this can change, though.  I used to always get the
latest and greatest but now that my business and personal computing is
all on Linux it's hard to really test the betas (or even install them).

--
Paradise; can it be all I heard it was?
I close my eyes and maybe I'm already there.