Re: metacity window resize [OT rant]

Ted Clark <bison@visi.com> writes:
> > And I don't have a problem with adding keybindings for both lower
> > window and vert/horz maximize. Those bugs are open on gnome.org.
>
> I saw that, but I haven't yet jumped into the fray.  I'm not an active
> Gnome developer, so I thought I would hang out and watch for a
> while.

It turns out I added the "lower" keybinding in August, and I made
middle-click lower window yesterday.

> Alternatively, if sawfish _doesn't_ shape up I think it would be good
> to  reinstate FVWM in the distro.  A window manager with a scary
> default configuration that works is better than a nice looking one
> that doesn't.

I can't really disagree with that, though I don't promise I can
convince others.

> As an alternative to adding individual preferences to metacity, you
> might consider adding them as a group.  That way you just have two
> configurations (WINDOZE and OLD_UNIX_DOG) to debug instead of a
> combinatorial explosion of configurations.
>
> This of course gets back to the problem that no-one has the same five
> favorite features, but you might find consensus for a core group of
> features.  If this alternate configuration silences half of us
> whiners, then I think you come out ahead.

Yeah. Note, in my view metacity already has quite a few compromises
for the "old UNIX dogs" (you don't have to be that old - I used all of
fvwm, olvwm, icewm, and windowmaker for significant periods of time).
People always want one more... ;-)

Havoc