Re: metacity window resize [OT rant]

Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Ted Clark <bison@visi.com> writes:
>
>>1. I see from reading http://www106.pair.com/rhp/free-software-ui.html
>>on your home page that you are strongly in favor or removing
>>preferences from software.
>

> Well, let's qualify that a bit. As I argue on that page, the question
> is not "prefs good"/"prefs bad" but "where do you draw the line?"

I was hoping for a line a bit further from Windows XP! ;-)

>>The problem is when 1 and 2 are combined together: the result is easy
>>to use (for most users) software that is frustrating for skilled users
>>because of its limitations.  In the case of window managers, asking
>>experienced users to give up a convenient way to lower windows, or
>>maximize windows along a single axis, or any number of other things,
>>is like asking them to give up cut and paste or tab key completion.
>

> Well, I'm fairly open to having those features. They don't necessarily
> have to be prefs or optional though.

OK, now that sounds promising.

> Right now middle-click titlebar in metacity doesn't do anything; I
> think it's clear that "lower window" is the most popular possible use
> for that, and I'm leaning toward making it do that.

That sounds good too.  I personally have gotten used to using the right
button for this, mostly because I don't have a 3-button mouse on all of
my systems, but I could deal with chording 2 buttons if I had too.

> And I don't have a problem with adding keybindings for both lower
> window and vert/horz maximize. Those bugs are open on gnome.org.

I saw that, but I haven't yet jumped into the fray.  I'm not an active
Gnome developer, so I thought I would hang out and watch for a while.

[snip]

>>2. Ship a second, highly configurable window manager THAT'S ACTUALLY
>>SUPPORTED!  Putting some priority on getting sawfish fixed so that it
>>can be used without running 'killall rep' on a regular basis would be
>>appreciated.
>
> It's really hard to support a highly configurable window manager.
> John Harper was always really helpful with Sawfish, but even then we
> had a ton of open bugs on it, and had a lot of trouble fixing them
> ourselves due to the elisp barrier.

Yes, I'm aware of the lisp barrier.  It took me ten minutes to figure
out how to make a simple button change, and that was just a theme file.

> We have only one or two people with the skillz to hack on window
> managers, including me, and I just don't expect to have time to
> support one of these things - half the reason metacity is simple is
> that it should be, the other half is that there's no time to do it any
> other way...

OK, I can understand that.

> If John makes a new Sawfish release, I'll build it and drop it in
> gnomehide for people to see if it's errata-worthy. I'm happy to build
> the package; I just can't really sign up to actively hack on it.

Alternatively, if sawfish _doesn't_ shape up I think it would be good to
   reinstate FVWM in the distro.  A window manager with a scary default
configuration that works is better than a nice looking one that doesn't.

As an alternative to adding individual preferences to metacity, you
might consider adding them as a group.  That way you just have two
configurations (WINDOZE and OLD_UNIX_DOG) to debug instead of a
combinatorial explosion of configurations.

This of course gets back to the problem that no-one has the same five
favorite features, but you might find consensus for a core group of
features.  If this alternate configuration silences half of us whiners,
then I think you come out ahead.

TC